- GROUP LEADER:
- Fyodor Kondrashov (ICREA Research Professor)
- POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWS:
- Peter Vlasov, Romain Derelle, Maria Plyushcheva, Dmitry Ivankov, Natalia Bogatyreva
- Inna Povolotskaya, Margarita Meer, Onuralp Soylemez, Carla Bello, Alina Korbut
- Victoria Pokusaeva, Oriol Pich, Julia Canet, Dinara Usmanova
Our group is interested in all aspects of genome evolution, structure and function. We typically use computational and theoretical methods to address various evolutionary issues. In the last year we have made steps to expand our experimental capabilities, in part thanks to several collaborations.
In the last year we have:
- Found new anti-cancer activity for triple-negative breast cancer cells of the FDA-approved drug clofazimine (publication 1).
- Contributed to the study of the first sequenced ctenophore genome and the evolution of neural systems (publication 2).
- Showed that genes that duplicate accelerate their long-term evolution (publication 3).
- Found that crossing-over in a hypervariable species occurs in regions of high sequence similarity, mostly driven by negative selection on such regions (publication 4).
- Studied the evolution and duplication of regulators of duplicated genes (publication 5).
Koval AV, Vlasov P, Shichkova P, Khunderyakova S, Markov Y, Panchenko J, Volodina A, Kondrashov FA, Katanaev VL.
“Anti-Leprosy Drug Clofazimine Inhibits Growth of Triple-Negative Breast Cancer Cells via Inhibition of Canonical Wnt Signaling.”
Biochem Pharmacol, 87б:571-578 (2014).
Moroz LL, Kocot KM, Citarella MR, Dosung S, Norekian TP, Povolotskaya IS, Grigorenko AP, Dailey C, Berezikov E, Buckley KM, Ptitsyn A, Reshetov D, Mukherjee K, Moroz TP, Bobkova Y, Yu F, Kapitonov VV, Jurka J, Bobkov YV, Swore JJ, Girardo DO, Fodor A, Gusev F, Sanford R, Bruders R, Kittler E, Mills CE, Rast JP, Derelle R, Solovyev VV, Kondrashov FA, Swalla BJ, Sweedler JV, Rogaev EI, Halanych KM, Kohn AB.
“The ctenophore genome and the evolutionary origins of neural systems.”
Nature, 510:109-114 (2014).
Pich i Rosello O, Kondrashov FA.
“Long-term impact of duplication on rates of evolution.”
Genome Biol Evol, 6:1949-1955 (2014).
Seplyarskiy VB, Logacheva MD, Penin AA, Baranova MA, Leushkin EV, Demidenko NV, Klepikova AV, Kondrashov FA, Kondrashov AS, James TY.
“Crossing-over in a hypervariable species preferentially occurs in regions of high local similarity.”
Mol Biol Evol, 31:3016-3025 (2014).
Pougach K, Voet A, Kondrashov FA, Voordeckers K, Christiaens JF, Baying B, Benes V, Sakai R, Aerts J, Zhu B, Van Dijck P, Verstrepen KJ.
“Duplication of a promiscuous transcription factor drives the emergence of a new regulatory network.”
Nat Commun, 5:4868 (2014).